Friday, January 4, 2008

simplest way for "ALT" key in xterm

After relocating to new place, Atlanta, with new work, my tasks are involved in many systems at the same time. In this case, using xterm is more useful than konsole. My konsole and emacs pair is generally one desktop, but multiple konsole or tabbed konsole for concurrent monitoring is annoying. So, working with many xterms on one desktop. xterm sucks when I need 'ALT' key. The easiest way is to replace xterm with rxvt. Here is my rxvt options:
rxvt -mod alt -bg black -fg white -vb +sb -fn 6x13

Bind this command with 'WIN'+x, then it is easy to bring up Xterm-like terminal emulator with 'ALT' enabled. If you are a fan of transparent background, Aterm is another good choice. I don't use aterm any more. First, transparency is obsolete since modern 3D based desktop manager(compiz-fusion/beryl) supports transparency for any type of win-frame. Second, more importantly, I am not a fan of transparency anymore.

One cool thing that I remember about transparent term is this. I made no-frame 100% transparent terminal with enough width. It is spawned with command "sudo tail -f /var/log/messages". It fakes like log messages flowing on Desktop directly.

No comments: